Usually, people who is taking sleeping pills are those who experiences sleep disorders such as insomnia, disrupting sleep, and daytime sleepiness.
Excessive daytime sleepiness is often associated with obstructive sleep apnea and depression.
The dark side of taking sleeping pills is when you get dependent on it. Breaking a dependence on medication can be very challenging both mentally and physically and withdrawal symptoms may occur when you stop taking medications.
In world’s population, between 10 to 30% of adults have insomnia in a given year and insomnia is typically followed by low energy, depressed mood, irritability, and sleepiness.
According to National Sleep Foundation, below is recommended hours of sleep per age group.
- Proper Number of Hours of Sleep per Age Group:
- Newborns (0-3 months): 14-17 hours (range narrowed from 12-18)
- Infants (4-11 months): 12-15 hours (range widened from 14-15)
- Toddlers (1-2 years old): 11-14 hours (range widened from 12-18)
- Preschoolers (3-5): 10-13 hours (range widened from 11-13)
- School-aged Children (6-13): 9-11 hours (range widened from 10-11)
- Teenagers (14-17): 8-10 hours (range widened from 8.5-9.5)
- Young Adults (18-25): 7-9 hours (new age category)
- Adults (26-64): 7-9 hours (new age category)
- Older Adults (65+): 7-9 hours (new age category)
There are numerous consequences of NOT having a good night sleep and you should give attention on how to avoid restlessness.
With this simple recipe, you can get the benefits of the potassium and magnesium in the banana. Potassium and magnesium are beneficial for the nervous system and are great for relaxing the muscles.
In fact, magnesium is the most important mineral for muscle relaxation and can reduce muscle cramps along with other aches and pains which is helpful to easily get you a restful sleep.
Banana and Cinnamon Tea
- 1 medium sized banana
- A pinch of cinnamon powder or a little cinnamon bark
- 1 liter of water
1. Boil water in a pot.
2. Wash the banana thoroughly.
3. Chop off both end of the banana, do not remove the peel.
4. Add the banana in the boiling water. Add the cinnamon bark (if you prefer using bark).
5. Boil for 10 minutes in a medium heat.
6. Remove the banana and place the tea in a mug, cup or any container.
7. Add a pinch of cinnamon powder (if you prefer using powder).
8. Allow to cool at room temperate.
9. Drink this before hitting the bed.
10. You may also eat the banana if you want.